About this Project
The Beneficiaries under this project initially receive a two-day training short course on managing poultry as an income-generating activity (IGA). Follow-up training is also provided during implementation of the poultry project.
All participants are given practical advice on preparing suitable structures to raise their poultry stock and when these are ready, they are then provided with the chicks. These are raised for 3-12 months, depending on whether they are used for egg or meat production:
- Commercial egg production: mature at 5-7 months, can lay eggs for 12 months consistently.
- Commercial meat production: mature at 3-5 months.
Beneficiaries are provided with the necessary vaccines and some foodstuffs for the first 3 months of the project, at which time the projects are usually self-sustaining.
Typical Project Costs
A project benefiting 15 members in a group costs up to UGX 3,100,000 (approx.USD $1000).
They typical breakdown of costs is as follows:
- Training cost for 15 beneficiaries – USD $175
- Poultry start-up kit for 1 individual –USD $65
- Support for 1 individual for 3 months leading up to self-sustenance -USD $45